8.21.2012

Sundays in Romania

Sundays in Romania were an amazing blessing.  We went to all four churches that Attila pastors.  Each church was unique and special in its own way.  The first service was in Gornesti.  We spent a lot of time with the youth from this church, so this church will always hold a special place in my heart. 
 We learned a few Hungarian songs, and we taught them "Grace Like Rain."



 I think this picture was taken at a youth meeting, but this is what Melissa, Duke, and Anna did at every church service...our very own traveling worship band :)

 Gornesti church from the street.

 Zozo would play the organ or the guitar.

 I think this was taken at a youth meeting, too, but Jason preached at every church service with Attila translating.  Jason did an amazing job!


Filpisu Mic (thank, Barni :) we called it the 3-person church. :)  We all barely fit in the house where they meet each Sunday afternoon.  One of the Sundays we were there, a man was sitting near Attila's car when we were leaving.  He started speaking to me, but of course, I could not understand what he was saying, so I just smiled.  He asked Attila why I wasn't speaking to him, and Attila told him that I was American, and he just looked really shocked.  Attila said that we were probably the first Americans he had ever seen.

Reghin church (picture by JoAnna Rich on their trip, which was after ours).  

Apalina church - this was the largest of the 4 churches.  (This picture was also taken by JoAnna Rich at their VBS camp.)  LCC helped to finish building this church about a year ago.  Hearing all of the men, women, and children singing in this church was so wonderful.

Did I forget to mention that it is hot in Romania - and there is no A/C.  The churches were no exception, thank God for windows!

The services mostly followed the same pattern - Worship songs in Hungarian and English, Sermon, and Prayer time.  I wish you all could experience the prayer time firsthand, but I will try to explain it as best I can.  Everyone would bow their heads and close their eyes.  Anyone in the congregation could pray, so someone would start with their prayer.  When one person was done, another would begin.  At some church services probably 10 people prayed like this.  Obviously, I couldn't understand what they were saying, except for one time when one of my new friends, Adel Laszlo, was translating the prayers for me.  One thing that I could understand was "Köszönöm szépen....." which means "thank you very much."  To hear person after person saying thank you very much over and over was truly amazing and eye-opening.  It seemed like every sentence they said began with "thank you very much..."  This definitely made me think about the way that I pray.


No comments: